Monday, March 26, 2007

Pandora Radio: Too Good To Be True?

In 2000, a group of hardcore music lovers banned together in an attempt to create the "most comprehensive analysis of music ever" (their website's words, not mine). The project, named "The Music Genome Project," involved the examination of lyrics, instrumentation, and style in forming a full description of a song based on its own merit rather than the reputation of the artist or genre. The analysts were trained professionals educated in 400 "musical characteristics."

The result of this pursuit was a common question fired at the project's crew: "How can I find music that I would like?" The question was the seed that eventually sprouted into Pandora Radio.

Pandora is an online music database that caters to the listener's musical preferences. Here's a step-by-step starter guide:

1. Go to www.pandora.com.
2. Set up a free account.
3. Click the "Create a New Station" feature.
4. Type in the name of an artist or song that you like.
5. The website-radio will start playing your song or a sample from the artist, so that you can correct it if need be. It will also provide a the Music Genome Project's description of the song or the artist's music.
6. After the first song, Pandora tells you that it will be searching for music with similar qualities from now on. It will then describe the second song, and what characteristics it shares with the first.
7. Help guide Pandora by rolling your mouse over the title of the track, and clicking either a thumbs-up or thumbs-down.
8. Add more artists to the current station, or create a new one.

Seems nifty, right? If you like a band, and would enjoy similar music but can't find it, then this should be an ideal tool.

I visit this site every once and a while, but I cannot honestly say that Pandora has helped me discover a new band that I really like, or any other such claim. I wish I could. Alas. I find it a bit annoying when I have to keep telling the radio that its selection sucks while I'm trying to hold an AIM conversation. Also, if you continuously fast-forward through songs, Pandora will cut you off for a brief period of time.

Despite these complaints, I encourage you all to check it out. I hope Pandora makes all your wildest dreams come true.

1 comment:

C-wod said...

From everyone I've talked to, Pandora is a lot better in theory than in practice. No, I don't want to hear Celine Dion or Limp Bizkit, but thanks anyway.

I use last.fm, but I can't honestly say that it has directly introduced me to more than one or two bands I like. I generally discover new bands by, well, listening to lots of music. I find that friends whose musical tastes I've accurately gauged are pretty reliable, too.