Monday, March 26, 2007

Hadouken! Live at London Barfly

I first discovered Hadouken! (yes, the exclamation point is part of the band's name) because their song "That Boy That Girl" was the profile song of the MySpace page of Nathan Barley, self-facilitating media node. His song has since changed, but at the time, I just had to see what band was creating songs with lyrics like "You look silly when you put on your best MySpace pout."

They follow the lead of (over-used buzzword warning) "nu rave" bands like Klaxons...(who, yes, I feel I can make this comparison though it's cliche as I've seen Klaxons -- twice -- pretty much before, well, anyone.) Enough snobbery! Hadouken! write funny songs making fun of indie kids, wear neon, and just make noise!

Plus, it's really freakin catchy! I did already post about this band (which you should go to because I posted a cool video...) a while ago on a different blog. Since I was going to be in London when they played a gig at an interesting (but not my favo[u]rite) venue, I just had to check em out. And even though I only made it there for the last song -- I was there just in time to hear them crash into a false start of "That Boy That Girl"...before trying it again -- I definitely got more than enough material on this gig to write what I think is a fair review.



The kids loved it. Let me just say that. And I include myself as part of the collective 'kids.' I got upstairs to the stage area just in time to force myself into the centre of the floor before the band started up again. And the kids went nuts! It was a really crazy-energetic crowd who were totally into Hadouken! And also really into flailing wildly while Hadouken! played music.

But the live music bit is another story altogether. I had heard live clips of the band's live performances and I can't say I was disappointed with their live show -- mostly because I already expected that they were a band that just can't sound as good live! Sorry, luvs, but it's true.

So anyways, check them out and stuff, or at least look into adding something bright orange to your wardrobe.

xxx KD
yeah i took the photos as well

1 comment:

Brody McCoy said...

You have to push your way up to the front for more shows.. You need me there too. Great coverage!!!!-Brody