Monday, February 26, 2007

Sevendust alpha

I don't know how many of you are 7dust fans, but I am huge one so when my friend was able to send me a copy of their new cd that is coming out next week it totally made my sucky week great. and all i can say about "alpha" is it lives up to expectations. on their previous tour they played new tracks such as "driven" and "alpha", so I could tell this was probably going to be a return to the hard sound of home and animosity albums.

What seperates 7dust from most other hard rock bands is the killer harmonies, lajon's vocals, and morgan rose's crazy drumming. And on alpha all of these elements are in full effect. Even the lyrics for the album, which is not usually their forte, shows progress the band has made. I don't know how much of this could be contributed to the addition of sonny mayo on guitar and actually being a part of the writing on this album, but this lineup definitely pushes 7dust to places they have never gone musically. The standout tracks on the album for me are "clueless" and the 9 minute epic "burn". "Clueless" is classic sevendust: angry, intense, yet beautiful and melodic at the same time. Lajon's vocals are truly amazing on this song. His R&B twinged vocals match perfectly with the screams of Morgan Rose. Cmon how cool is it having your drummer doing back up vocals and still be one of the best drummers! All hail Morgan Rose!

Overrall, I can say this without a doubt, alpha is my favorite 7dust album and something everyone should pick up next week.

1 comment:

Joe Lattal said...

I'm curious, as a Dust fan, if you like the first album with "Black" more or that second one with "Denial."