Friday, February 16, 2007

Anberlin--Cities

All right, my first post...I have no idea whether or not the bands I like are truly likable, no one I know has heard of most of what I listen to. So there's a good chance that I may become very unpopular right now because of what my music taste. What you will soon discover is that I really don't care about my popularity and will continue to like what I like. Read on if you're intrigued...

Anyway, I absolutely adore the band Anberlin, whose new album Cities is due to drop (why on earth is it that albums "drop," anyway? If someone knows, please enlighten me...) this Tuesday, February 20. Well, the guys have decided to give into the proverbial "Man" for the time being, and are allowing MySpace.com to stream their entire album as a sneak preview. You can bet loyal fans like me were uber-excited for this!

Overall, it is a rather solid album, though I admit there doesn't seem to be much progression from where they were at with their previous album, Never Take Friendship Personal. Cities is a lot heavier than NTFP, lacking the energetic, almost pop-punk songs like "A Day Late" or "Audrey, Start the Revolution." This, however, is not necessarily a bad thing. The lyrics have become more profound and subjects matters somewhat more mature. Songs like "Godspeed" and "Whisper and a Clamor" call for youth culture to reexamine itself and what it's striving for, while "DismantleRepair" and "Adelaide" take the relationship songs a little further than "Oh, I'm so in love with you" (on the one hand) or "I'm so hurt, and you suck" (for the other side). A pleasant surprise for me were songs like "Unwinding Cable Car" and "Inevitable," which showed the softer side of Anberlin. Leaving the electric guitars unplugged for a bit, the guys sweep you off your feet and make you forget that half their song titles are seriously nonsensical. Not to mention that that was a fabulous use of sleigh bells at the end of "Inevitable."

Perhaps Cities isn't quite comparable to OK Computer, War, or London Calling (Hey, don't yell at me, that's from the blurb on their MySpace!); however, it is a strong third release that definitely hints at the full potential of this great band. I highly recommend it, assuming that counts for anything. :)

Highlight songs: Inevitable, DismantleRepair, Whisper and a Clamor, Godspeed

2 comments:

C-wod said...

i have an anberlin song on my computer. not bad, not bad. thanks for the heads up.

nick s. said...

i love anberlin, but when my friend played me a couple of their new songs last week i just wasn't digging it. i guess i just had higher expectations after the last album, but for me there is no "the runaways" or "a day late" on this album. its just average songs nothing that gets stuck in your head like those 2.