Friday, February 23, 2007

BK Show...a bit overdue

Ok, so I finally joined, sorry for taking so long. And, this may be old news, but I thought it would be appropriate to post about the Ben Kweller show last...no, 2 weeks ago. Especially since Kelly said I would, and I'd hate for everyone to be disappointed.

Let me start by saying that I have what some might call a gift, and that is to memorize the exact setlist of the show as it happens (if I know most of the music) and then tell people like Kelly and Joe what was played in what order after it's done. And any other random people in the minivan who need rides to TC, but that's another story...

Before I post the full setlist, I'll say a few things about the show. First, I really enjoyed it. I saw Ben Kweller about 3 years ago at the VIC in Chicago. Unfortunately his bassist broke his wrist during the latest round in the BK-Death Cab for Cutie softball tournament so Ben decided to do a completely solo show. Sure, it's more rare, and he did do his first ever double encore, but the set was quite abbreviated and lacked the energy a full band provides. So I was really hoping something like that wouldn't happen this time, but thankfully it didn't.

My suspicions about the energy level were correct, and the full band was a lot more enjoyable than just BK - no offense, Ben. One thing I was surprised about, in a good way, was how he's actually a pretty talented guitar player, or at least, has a side he does not show much on his records. Several songs extended as he soloed, and I didn't expect that. I was glad to hear some of my older favorites, and the new songs were solid live. He played 22 of his own songs, which out of 33 committed to record thus far is a pretty good deal, especially since I paid exactly zero dollars to get in. But enough of that, here's the set:

1. I Gotta Move
2. I Don't Know Why
3. I Need You Back
4. My Apartment
5. Sha Sha
6. Commerce TX
7. Magic
8. Run
9. Falling
10. Family Tree
11. Walk On Me
12. Down
13. Hear Me Out
14. This Is War
15. Ann Disaster
16. Believer
17. Sundress
18. Red Eye
19. The Rules
20. Penny On The Train Track
Encore
21. On My Way
22. (Don't know the name, the chug-a-lug drinking song, Robert Miller was the artist I think he said???)
23. (I don't know the name of this either and I probably should, I think it was by Garth Brooks. He also didn't play the full song, but oh well...)
24. Wasted and Ready

So there you have it. A nice set, though hearing more from Sha Sha would have been cool, but I really can't complain, I had a good time.

Until the next show I see where I can memorize a setlist, good night.

1 comment:

Joe Lattal said...

Your ability to remember set lists is disturbingly helpful and wondrous.