Wednesday, May 16, 2007

My city's summer festival can beat up yours.

The lineup for Coney Island's Siren Festival was just announced, to the delight [and jaded scorn] of NY hipsterdom. The annual Village Voice-sponsored concert, which also happens to be free, enters what might be its last year, as the famous Astroland is set to be destroyed and replaced with evil symbols of capitalist wealth (read: condos and stuff).

According to Brooklyn Vegan, the initial lineup consists of New York Dolls, We Are Scientists, Matt And Kim, The Black Lips, Dr. Dog, Lavender Diamond, The Detroit Cobras, Elvis Perkins, and The Twilight Sad.

I mean, I like the new-wave-revival as much as anyone else, and who can go wrong with Matt and Kim (seriously), but I still hope they add some other cool acts. For example, last year, they brought in Interpol -- sort of. Actually, it was just She Wants Revenge. Nevermind.

Sometimes I look at past Siren lineups and cry.

2004: Death Cab, Blonde Redhead, Trail of Dead, TV on the Radio, The Fiery Furnaces, The Thermals
2003: Modest Mouse, Ted Leo, !!!, other bands I don't listen to
2002: The Shins, Sleater-Kinney, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Les Savy Fav

I blame Pitchfork for this and most of the problems of the world. Obvi!

Sometimes I wish I lived close to Seattle, Chicago, or Austin.

Coming next: A review of The Blow @ The Fillmore @ Irving Plaza (worst venue name ever).

No comments: