Monday, May 14, 2007

It's been a while...


(Paramore: picture from purevolume.com)


...since I’ve written anything. I’ve had some password issues.
So here’s a summary of my most recent purchases.


1. Santi: The Academy Is…

The Academy Is broke onto the music scene with Almost Here in 2005. They had a successful tour with Panic!, Hellogoodbye, and Acceptance. Their second full length album, Santi, came out last month, and was a less than adequate follow-up. The songs are good, but even my favorite, “Neighbors," has a chorus that is anticlimactic compared to the Almost Here’s catchy and energetic refrains. It’s not surprising that TAI will be touring with my second disappointing download, Fall Out Boy.

2. Infinity On High: Fall Out Boy

The only explanation I can offer for this disaster is that FOB was budget-happy. After the roaring success of From Under the Cork Tree, the industry that is Fall Out Boy received a major budget inflation. The CD includes dozens of new, unnecessary instruments and a full chorus whenever possible. I won’t even go into the guest appearance of Jay-Z. I will bring up the point that the band fell in love with a single line, “This ain’t a scene, it’s a goddamn arms race.” I will pay someone $5 dollars to count how many times this line is said during the first single released for the album. Consider this deal; you could use it to purchase the new Spill Canvas EP.

3. Denial Feels So Good EP: The Spill Canvas

For many people, The Spill Canvas’ last CD was too chill. My advice for these people: don’t bother giving them a second chance. If One Fell Swoop wasn’t for you, Denial definitely won’t be. I, personally, am a TSC fan, but I was less than satisfied with this EP. The “remix” of Stapplegunned is hardly an exciting change from the original; I think I noticed one added echo. The title track brings back a bit of the band’s aggressive edge, and is the most worthwhile listen on the CD. The rest has a new sound for the group, but isn’t worth more than a few replays.

4. All We Know is Falling: Paramore

I have to admit, I liked this one. I’ll recommend it for fans of Anberlin, Taking Back Sunday, or Plain White Ts. I always enjoy a decent rocker chick, and lead singer Hayley provides this rare sound in today’s music scene. Don’t be fooled by their 14-year-old emo following. Give it a listen.

6. A different light: Sherwood

This is my up-beat, catchy, running album of the month. If you’re a fan of Relient K, Cartel, or The Fold, you may want to check out Sherwood. Actually, I was surprised to hear a very Postal Service-esque track, Alley Cat. The lyrics aren’t anything groundbreaking, but it’s a fun listen. The Simple Life even begins with a hint of The Decemberists. I’ll leave you with my favorite track, “Song In My Head.” Enjoy.
7. The Same Old Blood Rush with a New Touch: Cute is What We Aim for
I can live with a preposition at the end of a title. That's fine. It's the cocky, predictable lyrics of CIWWAF that I cannot stand. I saw them at my first Jack's Mannequin concert at the House of Blues in Orlando. They were a joke in performance, dress, and musical ability. For some reason, I thought I'd give them a second chance, and it was a waste of time. I was probably just putting off studying for finals.

That’s all for now. Happy summer all!
-Jackie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sherwood are a bunch of cool dudes. Don't let the one guy's scary hair and beard fool you.