Monday, June 18, 2007

Ted Leo @ Chelsea (06.10.07) -- The Hoodie Saga Comes to its End

The beginning of this tale can be found in Joe's post from May 24th in which he gives a full summary of the events leading up to what took place in Vienna on June 10. However, there are a few other details that must be provided before describing that evening.

Mid-April 2007
MINDsetters Siegel and myself find out that we will be studying in Vienna for six weeks of the summer. Immediately we begin researching the music scene in Vienna. While doing so we discover that Ted Leo will be playing somewhere in Vienna while we are there.

April 30, 2007
While working in the Riley lab to put together the next print issue of MINDset (due out next fall -- no thanks to Kinkos), I get the full story about the Ted Leo show and the hoodie saga from kd. Knowing that I will be seeing Ted in Vienna in a few short weeks I make a mental note to bring my hoodie -- just in case.

June 10, 2007 -- 8:00pm
The day of the show. Despite the fact that it is a balmy 80+ degrees outside, I head out the door in my hoodie. I get a puzzled remark from our mate Dillon who is going with us, and I cast a knowing smirk in reply.

10:00pm
The evening begins with The Flesh from New York city. Here's a photo:


I had not heard of this band before, and neither had anybody else at the club as far as I could tell, but I was impressed by them. The rhythm section was really solid, particularly the bass parts. The thing that struck me the most about the band was the bassist's shoes though:

Yeah, i want me some of those. So after a solid 30 minute set the Flesh wraps up and I begin making my move to try and get Ted a hoodie.

10:45pm
John, Dillon and I make our way to the front of the stage where I position myself right in front of Ted's mic. I take off the hoodie, fold it just right so that WVFI is in plain view, and then put it right on top of the monitor that Ted will be using. Next Ted comes up to the stage and starts setting up pedals and whatnot and after a double take he says, "Alright, whose VFI hoodie?" I guiltily raise my hand and immediately receive a hi-five. He tells us that he's wanted one of the hoodies for a long time, so I tell him it's his provided he can fit into a small. "Seriously?!" he says. I toss it to him, and he immediately goes to show Dave (bass) and Chris (drums). He then comes back and we chat a bit. I offer him a few German tips for the evening and he tells us to find him after the show to chat.

11:00pm
The band is ready and the crowd is anxious for them to start. However, their sound guy is mysteriously missing and none of the vocal mics are on. So the band launches into the beginning of "Spirit of Radio" by Rush. Needless to say, I'm impressed. Then the sound guy appears and the set begins. Not having anything to take notes on I don't really remember what the full setlist was but some highlights include:
Little Dawn -- I counted 187 "it's alright" at the end of the song, although for a little while they launch into a cover of Daft Punk's "One More Time" so my counting may have been a bit off.
Timorous Me -- just a great song
Walking to Do -- personally one of my three favorite Ted Leo songs... it also appeared to be Vienna's favorite Ted Leo song.

After the set ends, the crowd refuses to let the night end. Ted obliges and plays "Bleeding Powers" by himself. And then after that he leaves stage again only to return once more and sing a song a cappella (not sure what it was though).

12:00am
After the show, we head outside and find Ted. We chat for a while about VFI, Notre Dame, and an infamous incident involving a straight razor, Ted's scalp, and an ill-fated haircut during a Men of Stanford pageant. Then before Ted has to depart to pack up we get some quick photos with him in the VFI hoodie. So without further delay here is the man himself in the hoodie (finally!):

"Run DMC style!"

And here a few other photos from the show:

and last but not the least... the WVFI gang "hanging" out in Vienna:


And... that's all folks.

No comments: